Friday, January 15, 2016

Spilling our BIG news!

Spencer and I have some exciting news, we are expecting a baby in May!! We couldn't be more excited.  Getting pregnant was a difficult process for us but I'll save that whole experience for another post. I'll probably break up the pregnancy into a couple posts too so this one is about our first two ultrasounds and us spilling our big news. (YAY!!)

The weekend of Labor Day 2015, we spent it up in Montana with our friends the Christensen's and Christiansen's. Tuesday September 8th, I had a doctor appointment first thing in the morning so I decided to work from home.  Around 1:00 I got a call telling us the good news. We finally were able to conceive! I sat down and started to bawl because this moment of a positive blood test finally came and I wasn't sure what to do.  At first I was in disbelief so I decided to take a home pregnancy test... stupid I know because the blood tests are way more accurate but I wanted to see it for myself.  Sure enough 5 minutes later the word PREGNANT showed on the stick. I started crying again... Naturally. :)  Of course I wasn't able to focus the rest of the day so I took PTO and decided to start thinking of how I would tell Spence.

Spence kept texting me every hour wondering if I had heard anything from the doctor yet... I felt bad but I lied and told him that I tried calling and they said they didn't have the results yet. That way it would buy me time to figure out a cute and creative way to tell him.  I remembered a couple months earlier I saw some cute baby boots at Ream's so I went and bought them. I also went to Barns and Noble and bought a pregnancy book as well as a pregnancy journal.  By the time I got back home it was only 3:30 and Spence wasn't going to get home until after 7:00.  It was going to be a long couple hours until I could share the awesome news.


When Spence walked in the door, I had the boots, the pregnancy test, and the pregnancy book/journal on the table.  He was confused at first but then figured out that I had been lying to him about not hearing from the doctor.  He was so excited.  I wish it would have made him cry but to this day I have never seen my husband shed a tear... We were so excited.

The next couple weeks it was really difficult to keep our secret in because a lot of our close family and friends knew we had been struggling for awhile to get pregnant.  We didn't want to say anything until we were further along because so many things can happen in the first trimester, we didn't want to tell the whole world until we knew for sure we were past the first trimester.

We ended up having our first ultrasound on Sept 28 which was around 7 weeks. I remember being so nervous for our first ultrasound because who knew if the baby was still alive or not.  I remember not being able to sleep the night before because I was so nervous.  That morning we met Dr. Gertcheff and sure enough we were able to listen to our little bean's heart beat.  It was such a cool experience. Spencer and I left feeling like it was more real.


That weekend when we decided to tell my parents.  On my dad's birthday, we wrapped up a onsie that announced our exciting news and gave it to my dad for one of his presents.  As soon as he saw what it said he started crying.  It was the cutest reaction.  He made everyone (minus Spencer) cry.  My brothers were so excited and of course my mother was thrilled!

The following weekend, Spencer's parents were going to be in Burley Idaho for the Annual Barton Barn Dance so we decided to meet them up there and spill the news to them.  We met at a mexican restaurant and had dinner.  Then after everyone was almost finished, Spence went out to grab a bag that had our first ultrasound as well as the baby boots and the onsie in it.  He plopped it on the table in front of his mom and dad.  They opened it and were so excited.  Alison, Boyd and Lacie were all there as well.  Alison started yelling and everyone was really excited for us.

The Monday after that weekend, Caitlin had FHE at her house. All of the siblings that lived in Provo as well as Scott and Brooke Pierce went to the King's.  We each made different soups and carved pumpkins.  Spencer and I thought that it would be the perfect way to tell his siblings. We made Alison promise not to tell anyone because we had a cute way of telling everyone.  The last couple years when we have carved pumpkins, everyone is always looking at each others and comparing but this year we were lucky and no one really asked what we were doing.  We decided to carve May in one and 2016 in the other.  We were one of the last to finish so once we were finished we put candles in them and turned them around.  Caitlin and Neal started yelling.  It was so fun to share our big news.


Around week 9, we had our second ultrasound.  At this appointment if everything looked good then we would graduate to a regular OBGYN. For some reason I was nervous again... Not being able to feel our baby move around made me feel nervous. I wasn't sure what to expect again... But as soon as the ultrasound was on we were able to hear the heartbeat again.  Phew. No more coming back to the Fertility Center!!


Around week 11, the weekend before Halloween we told grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins.  Spencer and I ordered skeleton shirts, his had a chicken leg and steak in his stomach and mine had a baby.  It was super fun surprising everyone. I ended up telling my girlfriends at work that week too.  I was so happy that I could now talk about the one secret I had been holding in for weeks!!

I had my first appointment with my new OB GYN on week 11 as well.  Her name is Dr. Andrews and she works out of the Valley OB GYN office in Provo.  She is awesome!! I recommend her to everyone who is looking for someone who will deliver.  She is super young and very pretty.  For our first visit with them, we did the initial questions and blood work.  I could tell I was going to like this clinic.  I may have lied and told her that the Fertility clinic didn't do any ultrasounds so that they would do one at this appointment.  (SHH no one has to know! :) ) It is amazing to me how much our little bean had grown in just a couple of weeks.  She also told us based on the growth that we were looking like we could be a week ahead of schedule.



1 comment: